Friday, August 26, 2011

What I Want to be When I Grow Up…


I saw my daughter-in-law, Nicole’s comment on facebook this week about a conversation she overheard between her daughter, Jessie, age 10, her friend, Kaeli, and her two sons, Ryan, age 5, and Zach, age 3:

“Earlier today-- Jessie says ‘I want to be an artist when I grow up’. Kaeli (my friend’s daughter that I was watching) says, ‘me too’.  Ryan says, ‘I want to be a teacher’.  Zach says, ‘I want to be a little kid’.  Ha ha!”

I laughed when I read it.  It’s so fun to listen to the kids interact.  But as I continued to muse on the conversation, I decided I had to side with Zach.  I, too want to be a little kid when I grow up. 

A little kid is trusting.  He is usually pretty happy.  It doesn’t take a whole lot to light up his face with a smile.  Sometimes just a lollipop or a kiss will do it.  And when he’s hurt or scared, he knows where to go. 

I was talking with my daughter, Rachel recently about how I find myself becoming more childlike these days.  Rachel knows about some of my special favorites and has taught the grandchildren well.  They know that if they collect a bag full of acorns for Grandma she will ooh and ahh like it’s treasure in the bag.  If they bring in a couple of pinecones, Grandma will put them as a centerpiece on the kitchen table.  They squeal and point when they see a ladybug because they know Grandma adores ladybugs.  They decorate my birthday cards with ladybugs of all shapes and sizes.  They even got me ladybug charms for my crocs.  I used to quietly enjoy these things, but now I make no bones about letting people know that acorns and pinecones and ladybugs, and a whole lot of other things, delight my soul.  Part of the reason I dance around about these things is that I am getting used to who I am, who God made me.  And I accept the pinecones and acorns and ladybugs as God’s special kisses to me since he, too knows what makes me smile.

So, yeah, Zach, I want to be a kid when I grow up, too.  I want to be basically happy with life, trusting my heavenly Daddy to take care of me and give me not only what I need, but often the pinecones, acorns and ladybugs that I want.  And if I’m ever hurt or scared, I want to always know I can run into Daddy’s arms.   

1 comment:

  1. Oh, sweetie, this is lovely!!! I think you have your wish!

    ReplyDelete