Friday, May 31, 2013

Wanna Hear a Secret?


A friend of mine – we’ll call him Randy - recently sold some of his unused belongings and was driving home with an extra $75 in his wallet.  Then the Lord spoke to Randy:  “Do you see that man walking alongside the road up ahead?”
Yes, Lord.  I see him.
“I want you to pull over and give him your $75.”
But, God, what if he steals my wallet when I stop to talk to him?
“Don’t worry about it.  If that happens, I’ll give you a new wallet”.
So, Randy pulled over near the man, rolled down his window, and tried to explain that he felt God had asked him to give the man some money.  He kept the conversation light, so as not to overwhelm the man with the strangeness of hearing that God had directed him to give $75 to a complete stranger.
The man accepted the money with awe and gratitude.  He told Randy that he was walking (because he did not have a car) to a friend’s house to borrow some money. He had not been able to pay his electric bill in full and owed $69.95.  He received from Randy more than enough to pay the bill in full, and the wonderful and strange message that the God of Heaven noticed him, and loved him enough to send a complete stranger to pay his electric bill.
I told Randy, “Do you see what this means?  It means that God trusts you enough to tell you what he is thinking, to share with you what is on his heart.  He trusts you enough to ask you to do his bidding, no matter how strange, and to believe you will do what he asks.  God doesn't tell his secrets, the hidden things in his heart, to just anybody.  ‘The Lord confides in those who fear him.  He makes his covenant known to them.’ (Ps. 25:14)”

I cried when Randy told me this story, and I cry each time I retell it.  To think that God would trust a man, or a woman like myself, to share his secrets and act on them, is an amazing honor.  So I pray, God, help me to hear your voice, to hear your heart, to be the kind of person you call your friend.  I want to be one of your God-fearers, one you confide in.  I want to be one you can count on to do what you ask me to do, no matter how strange it may look to me or to others. Here I am, O Lord, please confide in me like you do with Randy.  I’ll do my best to obey whatever you tell me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment