Monday, July 27, 2015

Hands Off!

Don’t touch me there!
Hands off!
I got that scar 5, 10, 15 years ago
And it reminds me everyday
To keep you and everyone else
Out of my life.

But Jesus came
Bearing scars of his own,
And an invitation:
“Touch the nail prints,
Put your hand where the blood flowed from my side.
Let my wounds give you freedom
To let yours go.”

“You can trust me with your scars.
I can’t promise it won’t hurt.
But I can promise you freedom
From the prison you have locked yourself in.
You thought it would keep you safe,
But it just kept you wounded,
Alone in your painful memories.”

“May I? Yes?
I am peeling back the layers,
Uncovering disguised feelings,
Reactive behaviors,
Exposing the roots.
Scraping, cleaning,
Replenishing the soil,
Pouring in the oil,
The water of the Word,
The light of my presence.”

“No longer are you defined by your scars!
You are safe in my arms,
Healed by my wounds.
And one day, like me,
You will offer your scars
As a testimony of hope

For others’ healing.”

1 comment:

  1. So beautifully written! Thank you for your tender heart and willingness to share your gift with us. ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete