Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It's a Girl!

Yesterday was my birthday.  I woke up thinking about an e-card I had received the night before from a dear friend. The card read, “Celebrating you today and hoping you remember that God celebrates you every day!” As I prayed later that morning, my thoughts went to my mother who has been in heaven for over 20 years.  I asked the Lord to speak to her for me, as I do from time to time, to let her know I am doing o.k., to let her know how I still miss her and so love and appreciate her for all she did for me.  I mused on what Mommy went through for me, carrying a baby in the heat of the summer, going through labor without the epidurals given today. There were no ultrasounds in the 50’s.  With two boys already at home, what went through her mind when the doctor called out, “It’s a girl!”?  I think my mother celebrated this baby girl that day.  She celebrated that I was a daughter, and then she loved and celebrated me as she raised me up.  Mommy was always my greatest fan. 

It was then that the Father reminded me in the midst of my musings, “That’s how I feel about you, too. I celebrate you.”

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb…My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place…your eyes saw my unformed body.  All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Psalm 139:13,15,16

So, in my life quest to be like Jesus who only did what he saw the Father doing, how do I celebrate the people that God celebrates?  First, my prayer is “Give me eyes to see people as you see them”, to be able to recognize the gold gleaming forth under the wrappings of life.  When I find that gold, then I announce it, call it forth, celebrate it as the true identity of that one that God celebrates.  Just as God celebrates Taffy Spaloss, not just on July 12th, but every day.  The doctor may have said, “it’s a girl”, but the Father declares, “it’s MY girl!”

1 comment: