Monday, July 2, 2012

I Promise you a Star!


I was remembering a time when Juliana used to come to quilting class at my house, the day I put her on the spot.  She had just finished sewing her blocks and rows together to complete her very first miniature quilt, a lovely patchwork star.  She was delighted how the star appeared when the blocks were all sewn together.

Then I put her on the spot.  “Julie,” I asked.  “Did you believe me when I told you that all these pieces would end up forming a star?”

Juliana is a very truthful young girl, so she paused for a moment before answering me.  “I kinda believed you, but it’s easier when you can see it.  Now I can see it.”

There was a lesson here for the girls in sewing class, and for their teacher.  It was okay that Juliana was not that sure about what I told her, that all those squares and triangles would turn into a star.  After all, she didn’t know me well enough to believe that my words would always be true and reliable.  

Jesus tells us things sometimes, and we can’t see at all how they’re real or true.  But we can trust him that if he says it is so, one day we will see it, too.  We can trust him because we know who he is.  We know he never misleads us, never lies about anything. 
It’s okay to question what others say, even your quilting teacher, but know this:  You can always rely on what Jesus says.  You will see the star.

No comments:

Post a Comment