Monday, July 2, 2012

Underwater at Shore House of Prayer?!?


I spent some time swimming during our recent training session at the Shore House of Prayer.  

No, Shore Vineyard has not (yet) installed a pool.  Let me explain.  Our instructor, Sue was teaching a session on “soaking” or contemplative prayer.  She explained that soaking is resting in God’s presence, choosing to enter into a place of intimacy with the Lord with no prayer agenda on our minds.  Sue instructed our group to “quiet yourself down; fix your eyes on Jesus, think about him; tune into the flow of the Holy Spirit; and receive what he has for you, words or pictures, etc.”  As the soothing instrumental music began, I found a piece of floor at the back of the room, lay down on my stomach, face to the floor and asked the Holy Spirit to come and be with me. 

Sue let us know that as we rested in God’s presence she would be coming around the room and praying over some of us.  When she came and knelt beside me and touched my arm I felt like I dropped into the water and went under.  Now you may not know this about me, (although God obviously does), but when I get the chance to go swimming, my favorite thing is to swim completely underwater for as long as possible, until I have to come to the surface and take a breath.  What a delight to be there in God’s presence, swimming underwater as I love to do, feeling the cool water all around me.  I didn’t want to come up for air, but then I realized I didn’t have to.  I found I could stay immersed and could breathe under water!

Knowing that the soaking time was only 20 minutes or so I began to dread when I would have to get out of the water.  I hate leaving the buoyancy of the water after swimming, feeling the weight of my wet body dragging me down as I climb out.  But as if God read my thoughts I heard him say “You never have to come out”.  I could stay immersed in his presence and walk around that way.  I smiled as I pictured myself walking out of the House of Prayer, leaving a trail of wet footprints on the church carpet. 

How good of God to give this swimmer an underwater experience in his presence.  He’s so personal like that, I bet he would speak to you in a special way, too.  Maybe your favorite place is a garden, or gazing at a star-filled sky, or lying on the beach listening to the waves.  Come and hang out in his presence and let him show you what’s on his heart for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment