Saturday, June 25, 2016

Through My Eyes

Yesterday, I sat in the conference room where I work to witness and notarize Wills for a couple from India.  Coincidentally, just a few days earlier I had just finished sewing and mailed away a photo memory quilt for an Indian man as a gift from his family on his 80th birthday.  As I sat listening to the distinct Indian accent of this brown-skinned couple I heard the Father speak to me:

“Looking upon him, he loved him.”

I knew the reference was to the scriptural account of Jesus’ encounter with the rich young ruler.  But Jesus was speaking with me about the people in my line of sight – immediately, this Indian couple – and the many other people that pass in and out of my world every day.

When Jesus met the rich young ruler he was not overwhelmed by his fine clothing, or his learned speech, or his high position in society.  He knew this man through and through – the good and the bad.  He knew about his love of wealth, and even that he would choose money over obedience to Jesus.  And yet the Scripture says:

“Jesus looked at him, and loved him.” Mark 10:21

So, how does Jesus look at me?  In scrutiny of my deficiencies and failures?  

Although the rich young ruler was selfish and loved money more than God, Jesus looked upon him and loved him. And he made sure it was recorded that way in Scripture so that 2000 years later he could remind me of his words over an Indian couple signing their Wills on a certain summer day in New Jersey.


Why this day, why this foreign couple who may not even know anything about God? Jesus was saying, “See how I see these people.  See how I saw the rich young ruler. I wasn’t blind to his flaws, but I looked at him through my eyes of love.  And that is how I want you to look at Indian folks, Muslims, atheists, terrorists, or just the everyday people who wait on you at the diner, or check you out at Walmart.  Do what you see the Father doing, like Jesus.  Look upon them, and love them.  Because I do.  Just as I looked at you when you were an angry, frightened thirteen year old without a dad, and I sent a friend of mine, Stanton Brandkamp – you will never forget that name!- to introduce you to Jesus at a Billy Graham movie, to look at you and see what I see, and bring you into the Kingdom of God.  Because I looked at you, and I loved you.  Just as I love you today.”

1 comment: