Monday, September 5, 2016

Loving Life with William
My 6 year old grandson, William is very active, and so busy being busy that he sometimes acts without thinking of the consequences.  Like practicing his artistic skills on the furniture, or trying out his new scissors on someone else’s papers.

In the beginning, when he was confronted with something he had done, he would lie.  “I didn’t do that!”  Even if you caught him in the act, the marker still in his little hand, he would deny vehemently that it was him.

One day William came into my prayer room and found me laying on the floor.  “What are you doing, Grandma?” he asked. 

“I’m talking to Jesus, “I told him. 

“I don’t see Jesus,” he said.

“No, I can’t see him either, but he’s here.”

A few weeks later, my grandson came to me one evening after work and said, “Grandma, let’s go in your room and talk to Jesus!” So we did.  We both laid down on the floor and told Jesus about our day.

Not long afterwards, my grandson came to me and said, “Grandma, I have to show you something.”  He took me into my back room and showed me that he had used my elliptical machine while I was at work, and tangled the cord from the adjacent window blinds so tightly in the wheel that the pedals would no longer turn.  

I was upset!  

“William,” I told him.  “I told you not to go into my room when I’m not home!”

“I’m sorry, Grandma,” he said.

I wrapped my little grandson in my arms and told him I forgave him, and was so proud of him for telling on himself, for telling the truth and not lying, …and please, don’t ever use my elliptical machine again.  I cut the blind cords and removed them from the machine and marveled at God’s grace.

William came to me again yesterday.  “Grandma, I took some of your cookies.”  I had told him I was making cookies for our bake sale at church.  I hugged him again and told him how proud I was that he had come to me, and yes, he can certainly have some more of my cookies, so long as it was ok with Mom.  “Just remember to ask first next time.”


We’re all learners together, young and old, doing life, making mistakes, stepping on toes, forgiving each other because we know what it’s like to be forgiven ourselves when we’ve been someplace we have no business being, or done something that hurt someone.  And we know what it’s like when God reminds us “That’s not who you are” and calls us back to our identity as beloved children.  So we offer the same pardon and callback to identity to the ones we do life with every day.

1 comment: