Saturday, April 10, 2021

Walking thru the Psalms with Daddy.... Psalm 139

 

Psalm 139.

“Lord, you know everything there is to know about me.”

Last night Jimmy and I watched Season 2, Episode 1 of The Chosen, a wonderful ongoing series about Jesus.  One of the scenes in this episode featured a Samaritan man and his family, and how Jesus healed his broken leg.  After his healing, the man confessed to Jesus that he was the one who robbed and left for dead the man in the Good Samaritan story.  The man said to Jesus, “Why me?  If you only knew what I’ve done!”

Jesus’ eyes said it all. “I know exactly what you’ve done and I love you still with all of my heart!”

Psalm 139:24  “See if there is any path of pain I’m walking on, and lead me back to your glorious, everlasting ways – the path that brings me back to you.”

Daddy, what is a “path of pain”?

Grieving Chris and Melody is a path of pain for me.  But I didn’t cause it, or choose to walk on it, did I?

Commentators suggest that the path of pain in Psalm 139: 24 is a path that causes pain to God, anything that offends his heart.  Like choosing to live under the “Great Sadness” like Mac, the main character of William Young’s novel.

“The house you build out of your own pain”.  That’s how Young explained the reason for his book’s title.  It’s “a metaphor for the places you get stuck, get hurt, get damaged.  Where shame or hurt is centered.”

But how can a path offend Daddy, Jesus, Holy Spirit?

If it leads me away from you.

If it’s foundation is based on lies.

If Jesus isn’t walking there with me.

Jesus won’t go there if it’s lies.  Instead, like personified Wisdom in the book of Proverbs, he comes and call to me from the better path and invites me to follow him there.

I can’t go with you to the “land of what ifs”, he says.  That is a lie – it doesn’t exist except in your thoughts when they’re based on lies.  Come walk with me on the water – seems impossible, right?  But not when I’m holding your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment