Sunday, May 7, 2023

4:32

 

I woke up while it was still dark and turned to glance at the clock as I often do when I waken during the night. The digital clock read 4:32 a.m. Immediately I heard "Ephesians 4:32", a scripture verse I had memorized with my children when they were little. I had also composed a little melody that we would sing together: “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God for Christ’s sake, has forgiven you, Ephesians Four Thirty Two.”


So I lay there, half asleep singing the little song in my head, but the last phrase of the song, “just as God for Christ’s sake has forgiven you” stood out to me. What does that mean? God does not forgive me for my sake? My repentance, or regret over my sin is not the basis of my forgiveness?


I thought of the phrase “for my sake”, and could picture me asking a favor on behalf of a friend.


“Would you please give my friend a place at your table?”


“What? I don’t even know her! Why would I have her over to dinner?”


“I know, I know, but would you please do it for my sake?”


“Oh, ok. I don’t know this lady, and don’t need another person at my table, but because I love you, and would love to have you at my table, I will give your friend a place at my table. For your sake.”


So the devil might complain to God about why he would forgive me, kind of like when he accused God’s servant, Job. “Why would you bless him? He’s nothing special. He only loves you because you have blessed him. Remove the blessing and he’ll curse you to your face!” the devil challenged.


And that’s what the devil does. He is the accuser, laying guilt on us, sending his spirits of discouragement, depression and doubt to cause us to hide our faces from God because we don’t deserve his forgiveness.


So Father God highlighted to me that little phrase this morning to remind me that he forgave me for every sin, every doubt, every way I’ve hurt his heart, not because I deserve it, or have made up for it with good deeds or penance, but for the sake of his son, Jesus. Because he came home to his Father on May 9, 1966 and asked him, “Would you please give Taffy Tucker a seat at your table?”


And Father God smiled and asked, “What has she done to deserve a place at my table, Son?”


That’s when Jesus said, “She’s with me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment