Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Key is in the Lock

On Christmas Eve, 2011, as I cleaned up the dishes in the house where I have lived for over 20 years, I noticed for the first time that the antique looking door handles on my kitchen cabinets are made to resemble antique locks with the keys inserted.  That is amazing for several reasons. 

When Jimmy and I moved into this house we were not into antiques.  It was not until the kids got older and we ventured on outings with just the two of us that we began to frequent antique shops.  We slowly found a love for all things mission style from the Arts & Crafts Movement.  We began replacing our “modern” furniture with 100+ year old chairs and bookcases made of wonderful quarter sawn oak.

More recently Jimmy and I have been drawn to antique locks with the skeleton keys.  We have not been able to afford to buy any locks – they are quite expensive and desirable to collectors – but we have collected some keys.  Some are simple, utilitarian keys; some have ornate designs on the handle shaped like hearts or Victorian gingerbread.  And now I realize that this new interest, keys and locks has been staring me in the face for over twenty years.  How sweet of God to put in there years before it meant anything to me, before I could even recognize what it was, so that now I would receive it as yet another kiss from the Father.

Another development in our ever changing lives has been learning to hear God’s voice through our eyes, ears and hearts.  So when God pointed out the keys and locks on my kitchen cabinets today, I knew he was saying something special to me. As I got ready to  head up to the Christian bookstore for some last minute Christmas gifts I spied on my dresser a flameworked glass key that Jimmy had made on the torch for me.  I have been wearing it on a ribbon as a pendant.  I felt God wanted me to bring the key to the bookstore and give it to the manager, Don. Sadly, the store is going out of business after being the only Christian bookstore in the area for many years.  Jimmy and I had met Don a few weeks earlier and prayed over him for God to guide and show him the next chapter in his life. 

As I drove up the parkway I felt that God gave me the rest of the message.  I felt he was saying to me, “The key is in the lock; all you have to do is turn the key”.  Antique locks are wonderful and I would have been happy to see antique locks on my cabinet doors.  I would have been equally delighted to see handles shaped like antique keys.  But what I had was the complete package, the key right in the lock, ready to be turned, ready to open the new door, the treasure chest, the next page of my life.  It was his promise to me of his provision for the New Year.  It was his promise to the Church for her future assignments.  It was his promise to Don.  He has already given us the keys to unlock the challenges, mysteries, and assignments in front of us. 

I shared the words with Don.  I share the words now with you.  Dear Ones, embrace what God is placing in front of you.  Don’t be upset or worried about how you’re going to pull it off.  The key is already in the lock.  All you have to do is turn the key.  

No comments:

Post a Comment