Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pikachu, Pikachu! Daddy’s girl, Daddy’s girl!

This morning I was helping my eight year old grandson, Owen establish his own blog where he intends to publish original Pokemon stories. Now I have to confess, I know very little about Pokemon.  But as we were researching, we discovered another Pokemon themed blog by a guy named Bob who explained something very amazing about Pokemon.  Bob states: 

Each Pokemon has a name.  If you don’t catch what the name is, the little monster will helpfully tell you all the time.  That’s how they communicate.  Dogs bark, cats meow, Pokemon say their name.  They say it happily, sadly; they can say their names with more inflections than a surfer can say  ‘dude’.” http://radioflyer1980.wordpress.com/2009/05/29/pikachu-gesundheit/

So I asked Owen these questions:  Does a Pikachu say “pikachu, pikachu” because he is a pikachu?  Or is he a pikachu because he says “pikachu, pikachu”? Owen says, he’s a Pikachu first, and that’s why he speaks his name.  It’s all about identity.

What do I speak that lets people around me know who I am, even if they have never met me or known me?  What do my words say about who I am?  Do I walk around saying “life stinks”, or “woe is me”, or “why do the other people always win and I always lose”.  Do my words and inflection communicate that I feel like I am worthless or unloved?  Sometimes, regretfully, they do.

But that is not who I am.  So I need to take a lesson from Pokemon and start reminding myself of who I am and make sure that my words communicate that not only to those around me, but to myself as well.  Let me start here and now with these words, “said”, as Bob suggests, with a joyous, exuberant inflection, (can you hear it?): “Daddy’s girl! Daddy’s girl”. 

That is who I am.  I am a child of the Most High God, adopted into his family, precious to his heart, with all the rights of sonship/daughership including an amazing inheritance guaranteed by the deposit of his Holy Spirit living in me now.

What’s your name?

No comments:

Post a Comment